[Spridgets] Bugeye vs MKIV restoration

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 20:56:26 MST 2008

So why is a Bugeye worth twuce as much as a square body Sprite when a
square body takes twice as much work to restore?
Bugeyes have no exterior door handles, no door locks, no roll up
windows, no boot lid.
I can do a Bugeye interior in a couple of nights, I have been working on
my MKIV interior for 2 whole days and a night and I just finished with
the cutting of the panels and the foam, Bugeyes have no foam, no window
hardware holes in the panels, and no piping on the panels.
The panel between the boot and the body on a MKIV (the panel everybody
cut out for speakers) in no picnic as it is a bent panel with a wrap of
foam over a 2nd strip of masonite. Not only is there more masonite, but
add the foam backer before the vinyl, Again, not on a Bugeye.
I guess after restoring 4 Bugeyes 100% and then going to a complete MKIV
restoration, I have to wonder WHY the MKIV isn't worth 20 grand? Bugeyes
are worth 10, so twice the work and material means 1/2 the price.
Go figure.
For the record, I spent the same amount on the 58 Bugeye last year as I
spent on the 67 Sprite this year. $4000 each for a total nut and bolt
restoration. The 67 cost more to acquire, but i did not have it media
blasted like I did the 58 so that's a wash. Included is a rebuilt 1275,
new top, new interior, recovered seats, all new brakes, body, paint,
tires, clutch, front end, and new or plated nuts and bolts.
And 4 months of nights and weekends. (4.5 on the MKIV)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ