[Spridgets] Spridget tow bar

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 27 01:35:18 MST 2008

The 'A' frame towing system was used commonly in the UK.  Frequently by
small time car dealers taking a car away from auction.  They work providing
the trailer car is half decent at steering.  Some used to loosely rope the
steering wheel to prevent any excess turning (low speeds - the wheels turn
if one wheel hits an immoveable object - normally a poor driver issue.)
Providing there is a castor angle to the front wheels they should work.  The
major problem - and what makes many of them illegal to use over here - is
the absence of operating brakes on the 'trailer car'.  I think (but not too
sure) an unbraked trailer (the towed vehicle) can only have a maximum weight
of 500kg but, in any event (I am sure) it should not exceed half the weight
of the tow car.
Some car recovery companies had a system that had an assembly which sat
between the front seat and pedals and was meant to operate the brake pedal.
Built to cover the legalities - this brake system never worked and the 'A'
frame fell into 'junk' category.
I used them a fair amount before they changed the law in relation to
unbraked trailers without any problem at all, towing a Land Rover with
another Land Rover or Range Rover when the trailer was in use elsewhere.
That device just clamped to the front Land Rover bumper with a safety chain
around each front spring.  I'd use one again if the legalities of the
braking / weight issues were overcome.

Guy R Day