[Spridgets] New Engine oil change

bushwacker4 at zoomtown.com bushwacker4 at zoomtown.com
Tue Jan 1 12:42:17 MST 2008

Come to that, even on a run-in engine what beneficial use can the normal owner make of that sort of information?

Hi Guy,

I forgot to answer the question that you posed... Sorry but I just turned old! The reason for oil analysis is to determine the extent of material in the oil and its source. Most labs over here that do this are experienced enough to predict the condition of things as they are very specialized. For example, rod and main bearings are made of different metals within each part. When the mating surface material wears through, the underlying material will then be exposed to wear and will become a contaminant in the oil too. The presence of the underlying metal will tell the analyst that the bearing has significantly worn. The amount of that contaminant in a measured amount of oil will also indicate the likelihood of imminant failure. Between the lab's experience and the manufacturer's database, they are usually spot on.

My buddy with the twin blown 502s in his boat has about $30 K each to worry about should they grenade! He would rather find the problem before it discloses itself in the form of a failed engine. Much cheaper to replace bearings, rings, or whatever before the rod goes through the side of the block...

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1975 Midget - trailerparked queen