[Spridgets] POR 15

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:24:42 MST 2008

>From the FWIW department....

I've used POR15 and KREAM in the motorcycle restoration process very
successfully for many years. In that application it is used to line the
inside of the gas tank and Frank is absolutely correct that it won't "stop"
rust. Instead it works very well to "prevent" rust.

Many restorers of old motorcycles use it. They first fill the tank with
nuts, bolts, and bits of chain, then put the wrapped tank into  a cement
mixer and rotate it for about a day. Afterward, flush it out and then coat
the inside with POR15 by rolling the tank around until the entire inside is
coated with a layer of the stuff. Once dry, the outside of the tank is
refinished. I've seen tanks 30 years old done this way with no sign of
bubbles or rust beneath the POR15 layer. You have to get the rust out of
there first.

All that said, I have zero experience with using it on external surfaces.
Still, it is a rubbery coating so if you allow moisture to gather under that
coating, rust will start again like Frank's bumper bracket.
--
Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City

P.S.   Good News!!!   I know it's already 2008, but for those interested, it
appears that within a week or so the "50 Years of Spridgets" Calendars will
be ready!!  You will find them at the event store at:  <
http://www.cafepress.com/spridget/>  Many thanks to all who submitted
pictures of your cars and/or yourselves!  David Lieb has done a masterful
job in putting it together with assistance from Larry Daniels.  You are
going to LOVE it!!