[Spridgets] converting to auto-darkening hood

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Fri Jan 4 12:36:06 MST 2008

One of my Triumph Club buddies treated himself to a new, adjustable,
auto-darkening welding hood (helmets sit on TOP of our heads), and he
insisted that I try it out.  It's "infinitely" adjustable between #7 and
#14 shade.  Since the general unavailability of shade# that I prefer
had, previously, been my main reason for never getting one for myself,
this unit was a pleasant surprise.
TIP has them on sale, until 1/31, at $179 (regularly $199).  After 40
years of welding without one (auto-darkening screen, that is) I finally
broke down and ordered one, as I've got a whole boat-load of welding to
do this winter.

I'm also going to make up a cover/cloth to Velcro to the hood, which
will keep light (from my overhead shop lights) from coming into the
welding hood from behind.  I've just been using a leather "bib" for that
purpose, and it makes a world of difference.

Bud Osbourne