[Spridgets] OT cell phones, a little preachy

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 17:34:53 MST 2008

Last year I lost a loved one to an accident involving
a driver on a cell phone. Three months later, my mom's
tank of a Mercedes was totaled. The other driver was
on a cell phone. In both instances the drivers doing
the damage had 20+ years on the road without
accidents. Today with my wife and 2 sons in my truck,
a 47 yr old woman who'd never previously had an
accident plowed into the back of us. As I saw her in
the mirror about to cream us, I mentally noted the
cellphone in her hand. Her minivan was undriveable,
her entire bumper disintegrated and radiator was
knocked off the car. Amazingly, the trailer hitch on
my car took the impacts, and the only damage to my
truck was an interior panel that my knee bashed into.
There was little energy absorption by the truck, so
we're all quite sore. The van driver didn't feel a
thing, as its disintegrating absorbed it all (to my
mildly-educated eye, she's got $3000+ damage). She was
cited for "inattentive driving". We're all feeling
lucky.

Anyway, last we discussed this, the majority of us
decided we are above average drivers and can drive
while on the cell without impairment. Although I know
better, I do it myself sometimes, but I will not
anymore unless absolutely necessary. You may want to
consider the same.

Go Pack,
Ron