[Spridgets] (no subject)

type79 at ix.netcom.com type79 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 15 07:07:45 MST 2008

Caterhams are not reproductions but a continuation of the Lotus 7 many iterations which have further developed. If you research Caterhams you will find that there have been dozens of various models.

Other Lotus 7 ARE reproductions and they lend themselves to such activity due to their relatively simple engineering nature: a space-frame with an aluminum skin with simple fiberglass fenders and nose.

We all know of the Cobra and there are other reproductions such as those of Jaguar D and C Types, Porsche Speedsters and 356's, and the GT-40 and others including the Cobra Daytona Coupe.

Most every single one of those listed command tall prices.

The Frogeye was reproduced for a time as well in England, I believe in the 1980's. Surely it would have continued if there was a market.

What gets reproduced is always based on the market.

But the market for Spridgets in general is a hands-on markjet in which most buyers/owners desire to build, restore, putter-with their own cars as opposed to the owner who wishes to purchase a car that is already done/restored/needs nothing.

For some it is personal where they wish to create a car that reflects their own personality with certain modifications, colors, options while others see a greater value in buying a car and heaping more money on it, purely for the experience of working on it, than what a good original would cost them. The work experience is lost on the latter.

I've walked on both sides of the street and both are fun.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/