[Spridgets] Miata Seats

James Gruber thistle_3619 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 07:07:28 MST 2008

Vern,

  I just picked up a set of Miata Seats from a '96 for $150.00. Black, cloth, no rips or tears and minor rust on the seat pan. They were asking $250 then $200 at the "Auto Recycling Center". I pushed and offered $150 and the guy took it. 2000+ seats are supposed to be thinner in the seatbacks.

  I decided on cloth over leatehr, tired of sweating my butt off on leather / vinyl. I have not installed seats yet but after talking to 4-5 Spridget folks who installed them they were happy wit hthe fit. Biggest caution is brake line runs directly under on of the logical mounting points so be careful where you drill.

  Miata Seat Brackets sit on an angle, you could mount directly to the floor but for best mounting build yourself 4 brackets . I found this link. See
   http://ye-beast.com/Spitfire/Beast_Folder/Beast_Tech/Seat_Talk.html for a link to a blueprint for a bracket designed for a Spitfire Install but looks like it would work for a Spridget as well. Classic Motor Sports used Miata Seats in their resoration and they built a bracket to use the same mounting holes as the Spridget does already. Have not got that far yet in my installation but will be ready by Spring.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH