[Spridgets] [Thicko] Suburu question

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Wed Jan 30 10:04:45 MST 2008

Yeah, I know the Japs build some very good, very reliable cars......but
(for the most part) they're just so G-D boring to me that I refuse to
own one.
As far as reliability & cost of operation goes; I'll stack my '98 Golf
III up against the Japs any day.  By 242,000 miles, most of the Jap cars
around here have turned into small piles of iron oxide, anyway.
As far as the cost of running that Passat; I don't consider an
occasional repair (even an expensive one) to be "nickel & diming me to
death".  It's just part of long term ownership of what has been,
overall, a very satisfying car to own.  It has never failed to get us
where we were going, nor even given us any worry about whether or not it
would get us there (the one disabling malfunction occurred in my
driveway, when I tried to move it out of the way for another
car.....and, yeah, that was lucky).  Again, thanks, Mr. Bosch.  BTW, VW
later extended their warranty coverage on that particular, defective
Bosch component, which was a major problem/expense for many VW owners at
the time.
Bud Osbourne