[Spridgets] Bugeye original paint

B- Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 01:38:41 MDT 2008

Dean Hedin wrote:  "For one thing I suspect the paint chemistry changed by
that time."

By "chemistry" I assume you mean formulae.   It is for that reason that I
believe that the only way to get the match is through spectrographic
analysis of "virgin" paint.   That would be paint never exposed to sunlight
or other elements of nature.   Mine "virgin" paint was under the tail light
assembly protected by the original rubber gaskets.

I was fortunate that the local Maaco owner saw it as a challenge, as did the
national office, and that they worked with DuPont and with some information
Frank supplied.   (Maaco has since used the car in national advertising, and
the local dealer keeps asking me to bring it in and leave a couple of days
so they can show it off to bigwigs.  In return they wax and detail it for
me.)

Incidentally, at Frank Clarici's suggestion, they welded re-rod into the
interior of both front wheel arches.   Frank, you might explain the benefits
of this, for you have more experience with the problem that I.

Buster