[Spridgets] Tradin' Paint - LBC style

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Sun Jul 13 19:20:41 MDT 2008

No, not trading paint in the "roundy - round" NASCAR sense, but
trading paint samples of "OE White" paint.

When I had my '66 Sprite painted last Nov, the paint shop used RM
Paint (RM 1633), Ford M, Wimbledon White. This was a base coat /
clear coat job (lost some of the purists there, I'll bet). Just
recently Dean Hedin did his Sprite with Rustoleum "Antique White"
(just lost a few more). Then there was the discussion on the list of
what color is Old English White.

Just for fun, Dean and I exchanged paint chip samples so we could
each do a side by side comparison. Here's what I noticed. First,
remember that when I compare color chips, Dean's paint is enamel with
the "shine built in" and my Wimbledon White has no shine by itself. I
prepared one half of my sample by using a clear coat from a rattle
can - a Duplicolor product. Not using the RM clear coat stuff screws
up this comparison, I know, but the RM clear coat stuff is that 2
part product with a short shelf life. I didn't have any clear available.

The verdict. . . they are very, very close. I'm not sure that in a
gathering of Spridgets that were painted OEW, Wimbledon White,
Antique White and some of the other possibilities that anyone would
get 100% on a quiz to correctly identify the various paints. Mine WW
would probably show up as being too shiny but I believe the shine in
the clear coat can be toned down had I chosen to request that. Maybe
the Restoleum is to shiny too, but I'm talking color here - not
shine. I do know that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the
cost of the paints.

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/