[Spridgets] oil pan bolt size

dlancer7676 at comcast.net dlancer7676 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 13 07:12:11 MDT 2008

Ahhh--that's a fine line.  I think technically it would be a screw, even though, as we Americans have been taught to think, it doesn't have a slot or Phillips receiver, isn't pointed, and isn't conical.

I found this on the net:   "Old SAE and USS standards made a distinction between a bolt and a cap screw based on whether a portion of the shaft was un-threaded or not. Cap screws had shafts that were threaded up to the head and bolts had partially threaded shafts. Today a bolt that has a completely threaded shaft might be referred to as a tap bolt."

"ASME B18.2.1 defines a bolt as 'an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through the holes in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or released by torquing a nut'."

So the fastener that holds the pan to the engine would technically be called a screw, although I, too, refer to it as a bolt, since it does not have a slot, a point, nor is it conical, as a screw (shut up Ed) is to my way of thinking.  But then, again, it has no nut, so it fits the above description of a "screw".     8^)

--David C.
WOULD A FLY WITHOUT WINGS BE CALLED A WALK?

From: Mike/Donna Carpenter <mail4carpenters at peoplepc.com>