[Spridgets] static timing new 1275

Joe Lansing kidjoevid at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 10:20:54 MDT 2008

I'm trying to set timing on a new build. I have a 123ignition distributor. I'm setting #1 to TDC by watching valves and piston rise. Using pencil in #1 plug hole by feel.

My mark on the balancer seems to be 180 off. I'm not sure how that happened. My machinist set up the cam and timing using the Kent timing wheel. I assume it's right. He's smart, and he got it right last time.

I'm using the 123ignition method of bringing #1 to TDC then rotating distributor to get green light to come on. I can barely get a single cyl to fire. All 4 are getting spark when checked individually.

How close do I have to be to EXACT TDC? Shouldn't I get it to at least run rough if I'm close?

Any advice?

Joe
62 Sprite, in shop for 2 years this 4th of July.