[Spridgets] Removing a cut-off bolt.... Ideas??

K. Valentine kevin at valentinephoto.net
Sat Jun 28 12:50:19 MDT 2008

Dave,

Do you have a drill?

If so,  go to your local hardware store (or Sears tool department)
and get an "E-Z Out" screw/bolt extractor.  That;s a fairly large
bolt so get an appropriate size extractor.  You'll need a drill bit
to drill a pilot hole for the extractor.  The info on the extractor
package should tell you what size pilot hole to drill.

Clean the area around the broken bolt (including the paint with a
wire brush and a pick or a probe.  Get it as clean as you possibly can!

Spray the broken bolt with a good penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench,
Busty, or PB Blaster......  (NOT WD40).  Let it set overnight with
the penetrating oil on it and spray it again in the morning.  Shock
it with a hammer several times but don't hit it hard enough to
mushroom it.

If the bolt won't turn easily with the extractor, use a propane torch
and heat the area around the bolt then try the extractor again.
Repeat the heat, and try again.

It'll come out ;)

Kevin V.