[Spridgets] Fuel pump JB Weld repair? Lab Metal?

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 15:29:15 MDT 2008

I just successfully replaced everything except the metal fuel line on my '71.
Not sure how different it is from a Bugeye, but suspect there are changes as
mine came with an electric SU pump at the rear (no mechanical pump like you
mentioned).  If you want to change over to this set-up it seems to be working
so far.  Here's what I did:

>From the tank, I used the original metal line, then new 1/4" rubber hose to
the in-line filter which screws into the Mr. Gasket aftermarket electric pump
I got from Advance.  This I mounted into the stock mounts near the RR wheel
via a length of metal strap leftover in my tool box from some stereo install
years ago.  From there, you go back to more new rubber hose, then to the rear
of the metal fuel line.  In the engine compartment, I ran new hose from
the other end of the metal line to an adjustable pressure regulator - set at 2
psi - and from there through a second inline filter, this one a glass one with
changable filter element and from there to the front carb.  All told, I used
12 new hose clamps (counting the two on the hose between the carbs that I
didn't do yet as I ran out of hose...).

All works well, with the possible exception that the Mr. Gasket pump is a bit
on the loud side.  Once the car starts up you can't hear it though, so no big
deal.

I think it was about $40 for the pump, maybe $8 for the glass filter, a few
bucks for the hose, and about 50 cents each for the clamps.  The regulator
would have been another $30, but I got a freebie from a friend.

Hope this helps, if not I still got to brag a bit about my new fuel system...

 - David