[Spridgets] Ottawa Snowfall - now Global Warming...

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:11:34 MST 2008

Michael,

Actually, I have seen a number of recent scholarly works which show that
previous glacial ice studies were made in areas where natural recession was
occurring and that in other areas some glaciers and some of the polar ice
caps are beginning to come back. Record snowfalls this year will certainly
add at least something to the recovery process and sunspot cycle studies
indicate we may see more cold and snowy winters on an inter-decadal
frequency.

I was recently involved in a long conversation with my colleagues Dr. Peter
Cook  and Dr. Chris Landsea. Our data shows that we have probably already
peaked insofar as global warming is concerned and will move into a cooling
trend through the next 5 years if not already (hard to pin this down because
the curve in the data is so very shallow with a slope near +/- zero).  As
you may know, both Dr. Landsea and Dr. Cook were originally part of the IPCC
project for the UN but both ave now renounced the findings as have I.

Long story short; the climate is (or at least was) becoming very gradually
warmer during the past century. In and of itself that is not all that
unexpected as we exited the little ice age of the 1800s. The cause?  Who
knows for sure?  Any climatologist or paleo-climatologist who ascribes man
(and CO2 emission especially) as the root cause simply cannot back up that
assertion with fact and neglects the huge influence placed upon temperature
by naturally occurring methane (at least an order of magnitude greater than
CO2).

The whole apocalypse thing is based entirely upon numerous runs of computer
climate models. We are now beginning to see that those models are, in many
cases, seriously flawed as we have scaled important fluxes (previously
thought to be negligible) out of the primitive equations. A growing number
of climatologists are beginning to look hard at this and are turning away
from the apocalyptic predictions of the past. In fact, some of the latest
parallel model runs are starting to point toward the cooling idea we have
found in our data.

If you'd like to discuss this further, I would enjoy doing that, but I think
we should probably take it off list  ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Retired Operational and Research Meteorologist
Chairman of the Board, Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology
(EJSSM)