[Spridgets] Tie Rod End removal?

Guy Weller guy.weller at tiscali.co.uk
Mon May 12 01:50:25 MDT 2008

When these were first designed, the method of causing the steel to "bounce"
was the recognised and correct workshop technique.  If done properly it
works very effectively and causes no damage to the steering arm or the ball
joint.

It IS the correct tool for the job.

However,  it does require some care and needs a quick sharp tap with a heavy
hammer. Not repeated random blows which will only distort the metal and ruin
the steering arm as you found. As you say, the ball joint splitting tool is
a good alternative and is pretty idiot-proof.

Guy