[Spridgets] Welding helmets

shelden3 at pldi.net shelden3 at pldi.net
Mon May 19 18:02:55 MDT 2008

According to the welding instructor at the local vo-tech where I learned a
skill.

 He said that even the cheap ones have to meet the minimum under a no
black out condition.  In other words, it may be real bright in the case
of a failure but the glass it's self is still blocking the harmful non
visible light.  He said the only differance in the lenses on non auto
hoods was the comfort level for you the user, the lightest lens provided
the same protection as the darkest.  With that said he of course
cautioned against using a light lens as your eyes and head will feel much
better afterwards.  My question to him was what happens if it doesn't
darken, which is what got the whole conversation started.

Thats my .02.

Charlie