[Spridgets] midget engine removal

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Tue May 20 22:16:20 MDT 2008

OK, first time engine removal for me, know some of you can do this in
your sleep...

Here's how I envision this...

have borrowed lift and engine stand

remove bonnet
drain coolant
drain engine oil
drain transmission oil
disconnect drive shaft (from rear??)
remove radiator (does anything else have to come out? this is a 73 Midget)
disconnect everything from engine.
remove gearshift lever
jack up car and unbolt transmission mounts
disconnect speedo and reverse lights
remove rocker cover, connect lift chains to rocker cover studs
take up slack in chains, unbolt motor mounts
finesse engine out...

while it's out

- put engine on stand, flip it over, replace pan gasket and seals
- replace side cover gaskets
- install new clutch kit (disk, plate, bearing)
- bolt on rebuilt transmission (anything I need to know about speedo gears?)

"assembly is the reverse of above procedure"

Advice? Items to have on hand?

Thanks for all useful info!

--

Marc