[Spridgets] Engine removal list suggestions..

Dave G. dmg at bossig.com
Wed May 21 19:45:55 MDT 2008

Here's the "final" list which includes nearly all the suggestions.
I only omitted some folks favorite methods of doing various items.
Everybody, feel free to add you own little pointers that ease the job - but let me have a
copy...... I've got this job coming up on my beast.

ED... do you want to put this on the 'JustBrits' site??

                     Spridget Engine removal...
a) Items marked * are not really necessary but might save having to replace
    them after you've busted them

b) Items marked ** are optional

1.   (Optional - access) Scribe around bonnet hinges*
2.   (Optional - access) remove bonnet*  - best done with two people
3.   disconnect and remove Battery - Safety First!
4.   disconnect ground strap - often forgotten!
5.   drain coolant
6.   drain engine oil**
7.   drain transmission oil
8.   disconnect drive (prop) shaft (from rear??)
   Suggestion: Leave the drive shaft attached to the diff. That way it will
        pull out of the transmission rather than follow it out the tunnel.
        Unbolt it from the differential before re-installation so you can
        attach it to the transmission once it is in the tunnel and then
        bolt it to the diff last.
9.   remove radiator
10. disconnect oil pressure line
11. disconnect water temperature sending unit.
12. remove generator/alternator*
13. remove the dizzy cap and plug leads*
14. disconnect carburettors with manifold
15. disconnect exhaust manifold
16. remove gearshift lever
17. jack up car and unbolt transmission mounts
18. disconnect speedo and reverse light switch
19. disconnect clutch slave cylinder from bell housing.
20. remove rocker cover, connect lift chains to rocker cover studs
     or use wide lift straps around engine.
21. take up slack.
22. lift engine about 3/4"
23. disconnect driver side engine mount bracket from rubber pad.
24. disconnect passenger side engine mount from chassis.
25. unbolt motor mounts
26. finesse engine out...

Optional items while it's out

a)  put engine on stand, flip it over, replace pan gasket and seals
b)  replace side cover gaskets - if fitted
c)  install new clutch kit (disk, plate, bearing) - if needed
d)  bolt on rebuilt transmission - if needed

"assembly is the reverse of above procedure"

Make sure that you still have all the tools you started with

Lastly, save any bits left over...  they just might come in handy when you notice something
"ain't quite right"  ;-))

--
Dave G.   KK7SS
'65 MK III Sprite in Richland, WA