[Spridgets] steering wheel horn push

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Thu May 29 09:28:07 MDT 2008

>I bought a small MIG welder and yesterday got the gas tank and a pile of
>scrap metal from the recycling dump to  practice on.

Mike,
This is obvious, but you have to see what you are welding to do a
good job. This means if you are having trouble producing good welds
it may be that you can't see the weld pool very well. Welding helmets
can accept "cheater" lens just like the reading glasses you can buy
from the drug store. Depending on your eyes, you may find them
helpful. They come in a variety of strengths - just like the reading
glasses. I find I do better without wearing my regular glasses. The
bifocals always seem to be in the wrong location. I do use a +2
cheater lens. If you try and weld in strong sun light that can be a
problem as to much stray light gets behind your helmet. Seeing what
you are doing is a big part of producing good welds.

Tim

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/