[Spridgets] Another ebay Sprite (Spridget?)

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at mac.com
Sun Nov 2 20:49:23 MST 2008

Assuming my memory has not gone completely 1965 was the first full
fledged year that CA / USA(?) started requiring USA mfg. to meet smog
regulations.   Starting in 1961 CA approved smog equipment ,PVC
valves, (rather than having standards to meet) and there had to be at
least three mfg. before the state would approve the equipment.  They
also required certain "older" vehicles be retrofitted which destroyed
so many engines that the policy was abandoned.  By the same token
Chrysler developed a solid state ignition system that would exceed a
later emission requirement but since Chrysler was the only provider
the state would not approve the system to be sold in CA.  As I recall
there were a number of articles on smog equipment and requirements in
Road & Track in the mid '60's.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition