[Spridgets] Warning! NOT political! LBC content, well sort of!

Andrew Payne andrewpayne at intrex.net
Sat Nov 8 10:36:36 MST 2008

I am setting up the basement garage in my new house, and would like some
input.  The area is laid out something like this.

____________________                __

|                       |           \--DOOR -/   |

|                       |            \            /    |

|                       *             \                |

|          S           |        !^======^!     |

|          T           |         !=======!     |

|          O           |        !  ^       ^  !     |

|          R           *        !-------------!      |

|          A           |        !-'-'---'--!      |

|          G           |        !\           /!       |

|          E          \        (  \         / )       |

|                       \       @=====@      |

|  >>STAIRS>>  *                             |

|-----------------------|                              |

|        (WH)                                      |

|                                                     |

| [FP}                *                             |

|                                                      |

|                                                      |

|                                                      |

|                       *                              |

|                                                      |

| Panel                                             |

|                                                      |

|                       *                              |

|                                                      |

|_______________________________|

The space is larger than the ASCII image suggests.  The asterix are support
poles.  There is room for tools along one wall. I am going to use the
interior wall because of better access to the door and lower chance of
rusting tools.  I am a bit of a tool hoarder.  Many of these are from Harbor
Freight.  I have a low quality rolling tool cabinet and a good quality 3
drawer tool box.  I have a 2x4x6 foot shelving unit.  I need to organize my
gear.  Eventually, I want to get a good rolling tool chest, but now that is
beyond my budget for MG parts.  So with 9 sets of wrenches, 8-10 sets of
sockets, a range of air and power tools, how should I organize?  The quarter
of the garage with the car in it is the only area that I plan to dedicate to
cars, The remainder being used for wood working tools and home repair, and
access to the mechanicals of the house.  I am going to keep the area in
front of the car clear so that I can roll the car forward to get wood etc
in, or to service other cars.  So, what are y'all doing to organize tools?
Does it work well, what would you do differently?  I would like to keep most
of the gear within the space of the large one car garage.

Drew