[Spridgets] Holy Smokes!

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 14:46:48 MST 2008

It must be me, 1098s and I just do not get along.
Every one I ever had smoked. BAD!
Now the Holy Sprite with it's 1098 is no different. It smokes, yeah,
it's old enough to smoke but
I would like to see it quit smoking.
I have rebuilt a couple of 1098s that smoked, after the rebuild they
still smoke.
I never had this problem with a 1275, most never smoke anyway.
We thought that maybe because the engine has been sitting for 30 years
that it would clear up.
Nope, still smokes.
I have disconnected the stock PCV just in case it was sucking oil, still
smokes.
Not under power so I do not think it's rings, just when you start it it
smokes out the neighborhood.
Serious smoke and it smokes after it idles a bit.
So I have 3 1098s, 2 smoke, one of those was rebuilt because it smoked,
it still smokes.
The 3rd will not start because it has no compression.
Whatcha think? Valve guides?
Or do a total rebuild on the no compression engine over the winter?
Anybody have a 1275 for the Holy Sprite? ;)
It's not like Father Jack is driving thousands of miles with his new toy
but it is embarrassing  to be driving a smoking old car.
Most of the bugs are worked out of the Sprite, I am hoping he stops by
tonight so he can take it for a real drive.
All he did was go 1 block, turn around and come back. He needs to drive
it now that it goes a little better.
For those who did drive it, the valves were a little off, the timing was
off, and the choke cable came apart inside the crimp under the dash so
that was the problem trying to choke it. All fixed now.
I did get the headlamp rims to work today, made some minor adjustments
here and there, finished gluing in the carpet,
strapped in the spare tire and jack, screwed in the door pockets, and
touched up the paint chip on the door edge.
I did not address the no green signal indicator with lights on syndrome
yet and beside a bit of smoke, the right front wheel has some camber
issues that may need offset bushing to correct.
If anybody has 2 offset trunion bushings, that would be great or where
can I get 1/2 a set or a whole set and don't say weinners circle.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ