[Spridgets] Which Generator?

David Woerpel dwoerpel at wi.net
Sat Nov 15 22:10:47 MST 2008

The Mk1 and 2 Sprites (Mk 1 Midget) used the mechanical tach and
therefore the tach reduction gearbox which necessitated a long armature
shaft and an extended rear plate.  The early ones had screw connectors
which is a specific end plate.  Other than those parts all the C40's
have interchangeable parts (even those with stepped cases).  There are
differences in front bearing mounts.   Fan styles changed but are
interchangeable. Pulley diameters were determined by application. Some
like to put on a smaller pulley to try to get more output from the
generator.  It sounds like the dynamo in question is a mix 'n match.
The longer armature will fit in the non-tach drive /case/ but requires
the tach drive rear plate.  After market companies made the same parts
but the design might be different.  Also /modern /"Lucas" TYPE gennys
have a different armature shaft diameter (read, metric) and cannot be
use with the original type genny.

That ought to muddy the waters.
Dave
59 :{)