[Spridgets] Second cool drive

Leo 60bugeye at cebridge.net
Sun Nov 23 22:20:29 MST 2008

Starting to get serious now and push the limits..LOL... went for a 100 mile
drive today.  Two issues surfaced.  First, when you hit bumps or bad grooves
in the road Iris want to< for lack of a better word, skitter one way or the
other.  Alignment is good (done with great care by a very good old time
shop), tracks straight, centers great.  In Iris's rebuild I didnt rebuild
the shocks as they had good resistance, no leaks, and she only had some 38k
original miles on her.  Could weak shocks be the problem?? Peter C??? All
new kingpins, bushings, bearings, etc...

Second, learned what I already knew.  Dont use 40 something year old NOS QH
fabric covered hoses and expect them to last any time at all!!  Rounded the
corner to my house and my better half said that the temp gauge just jumped
to 212 and then dropped and spiked back to 212 again.  Pulled in the
driveway, shut her down, and watched a small cloud of steam come from under
the hood.  Upon inspection I found a crack in the hose where the heater pipe
junctions off of the lower radiator hose.  Let Iris cool down, filled her
with water and put her in the trailer.  Hopefully nothing else was affected.
Will know as soon as I get a new hose.  Hoping Daniel has a set of silicone
hoses available for my car.  AND I also need a NOS QH fabric covered lower
hose for shows...anyone have one???

Other than the two problems, Iris ran GREATTTTT!!!  60mph, no gripes, just
tooled down the road.  Stretching out the distances as I am trying to get my
wife to trust Iris enough to take a 2 week or so, take your time, back road,
no hurry, trip.  Her chemo regime has kind of kicked her behind lately, and
when she is feeling great needs / wants to get out and experience things, so
smile days are becoming a high priority.  Today she said Iris was worth her
weight in gold:)  So, in light of trying to talk her into a trip in Iris I
need to assemble a travel kit (spares / tools to take that are essential for
travel).  Anybody have a recommendation based on years of experience?? LOL..
I want to cover the most likely, the unlikely will have to be dealt with
when they happen.  Pre-trip checklist???

Ahhh..really...today was so much fun.  Really seen and felt why I built
Iris.  Such a blast and so capable of bringing out the smiles, not only in
the occupants but from other drivers and people.  Smiles nowadays are
gaining a high priority around here.  And everybody thinks that Iris was
destined to be a trailer queen... Yea right..NOT...just the best dressed
lady at the dance:)  even if she isnt red....rofl...hellooooo Mark...VBG..

Leo

Checked by AVG.
10:59 AM