[Spridgets] Spares in the boot

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 16:59:35 MST 2008

I carry too many parts but now that I do carry all those parts, nothing
breaks down.
Ever since I snapped an axle 2 hours from home, I carry a spare, it is
zip tied under the right front inner fender but I have never needed it.
I recommend all of us carry some basics.

Accelerator cable
Fan belt
short piece of 1/4" fuel hose
short piece 1/2 heater hose (head> water pump)
some bailing wire
SU float needle
back up fuel pump
spare dizzy ready to go with wires
set of spark plugs
length of electric wire
Couple of spare nuts and bolts and lug nuts
Fuses
Electric tape
zip ties

Tools should include
screw drivers
spark plug wrench
7/16, 1/2, 9/16 wrenches
pliers
test light
flash light
lug wrench and jack
jumper cables

Road trip spares (more than a day away from home)
Spare axle
generator/regulator (or alt)
radiator hoses
Head gasket set   BTDT on the road
brake pads
brakes hose
slave cyl (or kit)
front pulley (engine)

Stuff you will not find at the local auto parts store and don't want to
wait for 2 or 3 days to be delivered where you broke down.
I carry the basics in my small tool kit in each Sprite, I have the "Road
Trip Spares" bag that I throw in the car when I am going away for a few
days.
I have lost a generator in Vermont, an axle in Pennsylvania, a fuel pump
in Maryland, and a petronix in Virginia.
If your brake pads go 1000 miles from home, you will be glad you have
spares, they can be used ones with some meat left on them. And remember,
if a caliper hangs up and you don't realize it, those pads will go away
fast and a down hill mountain run with metal to metal is no fun.
Happened to someone in Breckenridge in 92, not me but it happens.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ