[Spridgets] gas vs electric garage heater?

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Fri Oct 3 19:03:51 MDT 2008

Steve,
I have Northern Tool's Ouellet Heavy Duty Steel Electric
Garage/Workshop Heater, Model# OCH4000WB and use it in my insulated
garage (2 car - garage door is NOT insulated). I only heat when I use
the garage so it takes awhile to warm all those cold cars, walls,
tools, etc. up to a comfortable temp. I usually only try to get the
temp to around 50 degrees. I often supplement with a 110 volt, 1500
watt heater. I expected more from the unit. I guess 4000 watts
(13,648 BTU's) is kinda marginal the way I use it. I am in Mid
Michigan so we know cold here. I went electric specifically to avoid
open flames. I also did not want a ventless gas because of the water
vapor they put in the air along with other products of combustion.
Buy as many watts as you can afford and supply power to as you will
need a 240 outlet of the correct amperage.

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/