[Spridgets] Was Bugeye Parts, now Red Devil

Nory nory1 at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 4 06:49:23 MDT 2008

Part 1B...........

Sunday morning started out pretty good.  As we were heading back to
I-81, we passed a small Collision shop that had a bay door open.  We
decided to stop and see if they could help us with a more permanent
fix than my tape job.  The very nice older gentlemen was more than
happy to solder the wires together, and send us on our way.  We
thought we were all set.  We were wrong.

One thing I learned a long time ago about these cars:  Just because
you fixed one problem, doesn't mean that was the ONLY problem.  We
were still having issues with fuel delivery.  She would spit and
sputter and die, but the fuel pump would run, and she would start up
again without a problem.  (BTW, I now refer to her as "she".  We
decided "she" MUST be female, because she was being a real bitch at
times)  Anyhoo, this appeared to be an issue only on uphill climbs.
Unfortunately, that's a pretty big problem when you have to drive
through the Poconos.  Especially when you have no parts or tools, all
garages are close, and you're going in a pouring rainstorm (did I
mention the top leaks?  REAL BAD?).  We had to stop in Syracuse so I
could change my clothes -- I got soaked INSIDE the car.  Fortunately,
the clothes in the boot were dry.  My companion wanted to ride the
rest of the way in the dry boot, but she wouldn't fit.

Anyway, I managed to nurse the car home-- the 300 or so miles we
still had to go.  I got real good at pulling onto the shoulder,
restarting her, and merging back into traffic.  It was a long ride
home.  It would have been much better if it wasn't raining the whole
trip.   It finally stopped raining and the sun came out about 10
miles outside of Buffalo (I was told it hadn't rained all day here) -
home sweet home.  The dog was happy to see us; the pet sitter was
happy to be going home; and we were glad to be back.  I'm not sure
how the car felt.

Continued on Part 2...........