[Spridgets] An interesting read !!!

Billy Zoom billyzoom at billyzoom.com
Sat Oct 18 10:38:58 MDT 2008

> I'd like
> to see an article where they're targeting the 50-something enthusiast
This only applies to vehicles with emissions controls. It's illegal to
change anything on a smogged engine if the car is driven on the street.
They're targeting young street racers, not fat old men.
They also set up roadblocks near my shop once or twice a year. I have to
keep an eye out for them because they'll flag down my red CRX every time.
It's not modified, but the inspection adds about a half hour to my drive
home, and there's always a discussion about the glass pack, which is
technically illegal since it modifies the exhaust, although the car still
passes the smog test with flying colors.
There are some serious street racers around here. The kid next door has a
Civic hatchback, with a turbo-charged Integra engine w/nitrous oxide
injection that does 10 sec. 1/4 miles, often on the street.
There have been a number of people killed around here by drag racers.
There are also quite a few fat old men with supercharged Bucket T's. I've
never seen any of them get pulled over, even though they're running straight
pipes, unless a cop wants to admire their car.
I've found the local authorities to be surprisingly tolerant when it comes
to restorers or hot-rodders, and there are LOTS of hot rods here in Orange
County.