[Spridgets] calculating speed

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 14:40:46 MDT 2008

Just because I like making things more complicated.....

Tire "slip" would change based upon tire compound, tread pattern, inflation
and footprint. Also, tire radius growth varies with tire construction. There
is less radius growth with a narrower tire but there is more slip. The
reverse is also true. Moreover, tire inflation will change things as a low
inflated tire will have a smaller effective radius (and thus circumference)
until it begins to distort due to centrifugal acceleration (note: there is
no such thing as centrifugal "force"). It will also distort more than a tire
using maximum inflation but both conditions will eventually reach an
identical diameter at some point in the rpm field.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems at first.  ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Bill L <pythias at pacifier.com> wrote:

> Hello David,
>
>     Ah, but all these calculations fail to include tire "slip" ..
>

>     the tires don't get perfect adhesion to the road surface. my gut
>     feeling (what me pull a rabbit out of my ass) is that the amount
>     of slip is nearly equal to the amount of increased tire diameter,
>     making it a wash.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Bill L.                           mailto:pythias at pacifier.com
>
>  '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"
>
>      * "We in the Conservative Party believe in having a good time," said
> Tom meritoriously.

Cheers!!
Jim