[Spridgets] Hope...for GM?

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Wed Oct 29 20:44:03 MST 2008

Do not mistake "competitive" for equal, exact match, or best.  Every product
has it's target purchaser.  I have been a Honda Sales Manager too, and the
S2000 is an excellent car at what it excells at.  You might roll over and
puke at this next statement, but...  you can't get an automatic transmission
in an S2000, so for 80% of the buyers (non-enthusiasts, secretaries, and
residents of San Fransisco) the Solstice and Sky could be a better pick.
The S2000 lacks low end torque, which in my opinion makes it a dog to drive
in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic or city driving with hills.  That
doesn't mean the S2000 didn't put a HUGE smile on my face when I drove one,
but it is kind of like this, it may be fun to go on a date with the life of
the party, but you wouldn't want to be married to her for the rest of your
life.  I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the Solstice with an automatic,
but after a couple of days around town,  I found that it makes a great, top
down city car.  The two door convertible market is miniscule.  For a
manufacturer to shoot at the exact same bullseye in that market would be
suicide.

As for sports cars, have you driven a Corvette lately?  Absolutely as docile
as a Honda Accord around town, 25 mpg on the highway, convertable top, 6
speed, and oh, yeah, step on the go pedal and unleash an animal.  Skip the
options boxes and they're cheaper than a full size SUV's.

Have american car companies built cars that were embarassing?  Sure.  But
lets compare some of the *worst* American cars of the 1970's to their
contemporaries.  A little game of which one was worse?

AMC Gremlin or Renault 16?
Chevrolet Vega or Fiat 124 Sedan?
Chevrolet Chevette or Simca 1100?
Ford Pinto or Austin Marina?