[Spridgets] Hope for GM?

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Thu Oct 30 08:01:19 MST 2008

> Are you ready to replace your LBC with a Chevette? :)
> ( no, I'm not remotely serious. )

NOW I understand!!!
Back in 1976 or so, the Chevette was launched with an ad campaign stating,
"It's about time for a new kind of American car." At the time, I merely
thought it was typical ad-writer stupidity to say such a thing about a car
whose body was designed in Germany and the engine designed in Brazil
(supposed to have been the first engine GM built in the US that was not
designed in the US). Looking back at it now, they were proclaiming the
beginning of the slippery slope to where we are now, stuck with an auto
industry determined to commit harikari (wait, wasn't that the announcer for
the Cubs?).

Or maybe the ad campaign was right... it WAS time for a new kind of American
car, but it was our foolishness to assume that, because it was said during a
Chevette commercial, that they were talking about the Chevette in that role.
Maybe they were trying to motivate Toyota? Honda? Nissan? Mitsubishi?

Never mind. I will just go back to planning my trip.
David Lieb