[Spridgets] Perry County Kentucky with a tiny bit of LBC content, (maybe)?

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 12:31:04 MDT 2008

"Just wondering if there was anything to do around there besides visit the
General Lee? Or is this going to be a long 3 weeks......"

Greg,
I don't believe I've ever been to Perry County myself.  A quick web search
shows us that the county seat is "Hazard", which probably explains your
reference to the General Lee.  The Dukes of Hazard show from the 70's was not
situated in Kentucky, so unless some enterprising person there has determined
that they can capitalize on dumb Yankees who don't know any better visiting
and spending cash in the process, I doubt there will be anything related
there.  On the other hand, in Western KY there's a litle town called Sturgis,
where once a year about 30 thousand bikers gather for a weekend called "Little
Sturgis", but I digress...

Regarding what there might be to do in Perry County - I hope for your sake you
ask this in jest.  Eastern Kentucky has some beautiful geography, interesting
foods, wonderful twisty sportscar roads (kind of loosely LBC content??), and
very friendly people - to a point.  If you go down there with the attitude
that it is a boring little podunk wide spot in the road, you will quickly find
those friendly faces leaving you there to sit through your ordeal alone and
bored in your hotel room - the idea being they don't really want those types
of people to return anyway.  (you of course know the old joke - "What's the
difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee?" - Yankees go home...)

On the other hand, if you show up with a smile on your face, a willingness to
learn a few things, and an open mind, maybe one of the local guys will take
you out to meet friends or home to eat dinner with the family.  It really is a
beautiful area.

Whatever you do, don't show up with the atitude that Jersey and NYC have
everything worth having or experiencing.  Believe me we don't.  There's a lot
to be said for quiet, green, open places.  If nothing else, how long has it
been since you've seen a night sky that was truly black?  In Kentucky, you
will be able to see thousands upon thousands of stars - not just the 50 or one
hundred brightest ones we can see from here.

Take a pair of hiking boots and a camera, but make sure you either walk with a
local or in a designated park.  Tresspassing is not looked upon or dealt with
kindly, but that's another story.

 - David
'71 Midget
Long Island