[Spridgets] 948--1098---1275---Bigger?

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Sep 14 07:22:28 MDT 2008

Mike,
I read up on the early 1098s, which the factory recommended folks not
use for competition purposes.  According to David Vizard's book (Tuning
the A Series), the "small rod" 1098s are perfectly fine for additional
speed tuning, as long as you don't try to make more power at higher
revs.
Bottom line is: for normal, "spirited" driving, where you're not running
sustained high revs, or constant, full throttle settings, a "small rod"
1098 should be just fine.
Since my MK 1 1/2 Midget came to me with original everything, I will
probably stick with the original, "small rod" 1098, with minor upgrades
for improved low to mid-range grunt.
My MK 1 Midget, however, will end up with either a modified 2" journal
1098, or a modified 1275.  Right now, I'm leaning toward the 1098.
Bud Osbourne