[Spridgets] Restoration Rust

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Fri Sep 19 06:13:51 MDT 2008

Speaking of rust. . .  the fire is out and there was very little damage.
Yesterday I was doing some electrolytic rust removal. I used a small
diameter wire to suspend a part in the "soap soup" AND used that wire
to make the electrical connection. Evidently the wire didn't handle
the current and became hot enough to ignite the top rim of the
plastic pail. While that was happening, I was outside the garage and
knew nothing of what was going on until I heard the smoke detector
going off. It wasn't a big fire but it was a plastic fire so the pail
was melting and burning puddles were beginning to burn my work bench.
I suppose the fire would have self extinguished when it reached the
water level, but . . .  I have often activated the smoke alarm while
heating nuts and bolts and even making some dust. Sometimes a pain in
the butt. BUT yesterday I was very glad for the smoke detector!!!

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/