[Spridgets] Looking for a cap for an aluminum valve cover

John Caffrey jdc6 at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Sep 25 06:33:30 MDT 2008

David Booker wrote:
> I bought two vintage finned aluminum valve covers a few months ago at a garage
> sale.  Either / both would work on my 1275.  Problem is that niether have a
> cap.  I have been unsuccessful at finding one so far.  The cap I need screws
> on in the same manner as our gas caps do - with the bits that hold it on
> around the outside of the filler neck - opposite of how a radiator cap is held
> on where the slots are inside the neck.
>
> I sent the dimensions of what I need to Moss, but they were unable to find
> anything in stock that would work.  Does anybody have a suggestion for a
> source, or better yet something laying around the garage that would work and
> you'd be willing to sell?  I can provide the specific measurements if anybody
> has a candidate.

Hi David,
I went through this last year after buying an aluminum valve cover on
ebay, and yes it looks as though a gas cap would fit. Chuck Christ
happened to be working on a Spit, and we found that the oil cap from a
1300cc Spitfire fit perfectly. Apparently these were covers sold by Moss
in the UK, and Jim Knight from British Racing Green helped me find the
correct Moss part number for the nice chrome version of this cap as
pictured in the link below.
http://www.spritespot.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Johns-Projects&id=mossspitcap
http://www.brgparts.com/
John