[Spridgets] Bugeye Bonnet on Craigslist

James Gruber thistle_3619 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 17:58:25 MST 2009

I just got done restoring a BE Bonnet on my '68 Sprite. Headlights all go over
to the BE Bonnet just as is. Build a front tilt bracket to minimize cost of
stays and other items needed for a traditional BE Setup. Again Beehive lamps
pair probably less than $30 make sure you get fronts not rear lamps for
parking lamps. Amber lenses = tail lamps I've discovered.

Grilles are easy, there are probably a number to be had even with bad rusty
chrome from this list for a song. I just got done using electrolytic rust
removal technique on an old BE grill wit hthe eyebrow cut off that was
primered and rusty. 24 hours in the soup and soup stopped bubbling. I pulled
out the grill, cleaned off the scum, reprimered and will paint with "Kentucky
Chrome". If it looks crappy, it will become gloss black.

After sanding and filling and fixing a 50 y.o. steel bonnet over the course of
2 weeks I would have loved to have been working in fiberglass.

Bonnet             $150.00
Lamps             $  35.00
Grille               $  50.00
Wiring             $   40.00 assume it's color matching
Front Hinge      $  50.00  that's what it cost approx with all bolts and
screws. Assumes
Kit-Homemade               you have a drill press and bench grinder
Repaint            $  50.00  Rustoleum Special
Misc                $ 50.00    Sandpaper, gas to go fetch the bonnet

                      $425.00  Total

Hey that's pretty darn cost effective considering a new Spridget Hood alone is
> $700 last time I looked and we don't want to talk about fenders. Paint is
the big variable since I don't know where you are starting from but
considering you are speculating on getting a new bonnet chances are it's time
for a color change anyway. Look at www.the-mite.com and see what another
member of this list did with a glass bonnet. This is a no brainer - DO
IT!!!!!.