[Spridgets] Questions for the Racers (Long)

fastvee fastvee at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 12:11:17 MDT 2009

So my fenders flares are history, and I have all of the pieces I need to convert the suspension back to levers and leaf springs for vintage racing. Still not ready to remove the coilovers, and have been contemplating running some SCCA regional races in H production. Obviously I will be giving up several inches of track width, 2" of tire width, and can't run as low a ride height, but for me there are several benefits for me to stay with the SCCA to re-enter racing. There isn't a rule to prevent me using street tires, but the  slick guys may not like it. My questions for you vintage guys are, have you raced against slick tires while on street tires? Are the lines similar enough to not be a problem? Am I wacky?

The benefits to me are that I can easily get my license back, I will have lots of support at SCCA races, I love the idea of running a 1275 with limited prep engine rules, I can keep my tube shocks, coilovers and three-link, I can install my big brakes, I can use my fiberglass hood, the competition in H/P is very good and there is a good mix of cars these days, and frankly going vintage racing is just too vague for me. I've done my homework on vintage rules and have no complaints, I want to be legitimate yet at the track see too much inconsistency for my liking. Guys are spending enough to be period correct but couldn't care less what the level of prep was in 1973. I like VRG and it seems like the best choice in the Northeast, but after making the leap I don't want to hear about the four roll cage tubes forward of the firewall or the fact that my 62 did not come with a 1275, so I am going to put vintage aside for now. I am hoping the structure of H/P will
 give me a focus, and who knows, maybe I will want to take a shot at the runoffs again. Whichever way I go it won't be before 2010. I appreciate hearing any and all comments.
John
Fogelsville, PA