[Spridgets] Timing

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at mac.com
Tue Apr 14 17:16:34 MDT 2009

Can not believe how rusty and forgetful I have become.

The car is running, not on the ground, but running.  Want to check
the timing and my brain is almost blank.

1275 engine, Pentronix ignition, vacuum advance distributer, SU
carbs.  It seems that I use to attach a tach then rotate the
distribute to the max rpm and then back the idle back down.  As I
recall this would end up about 25 degrees BTDC.  Well rotating the
distributer about as far as there is room made no real difference in
the rpm, 100-150 rpm perhaps.  Decided to check it with the timing
light and of course the timing mark on the front pulley is hidden/
disappeared.  As soon as I rest will go back an find the timing mark
so it can be painted once more.  In the mean time looking for input.

Thanks

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition