[Spridgets] Pretty in zinc part 2

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 21:50:52 MDT 2009

I am glad you brought up this issue.

Plating with zinc is not like chromium, which can be a very toxic heavy
metal.

Zinc is actually pretty benign.  No, make that vital, as your body has about
2-3 grams of it.

The only dangerous aspect of the process is the muratic acid.
I mentioned the warning for those who are not accustomed to playing with
strong acids.
The real danger is a splash incident where you would get some in your eye.
That is why it is important to wear safety goggles when handling the
solutions.

Many old American carburetors were zinc plated but this plating had a golden
color.
This is accomplished with a chromate dip performed after zinc plating.
Caswell sells this stuff.
However, I am not interested in getting near any solutions containing
chromium.