[Spridgets] Little red MK ii Sprite moving under her own power!

Rick Bastedo rbastedo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:01:38 MDT 2009

My Mk II Sprite took it's maiden voyage this evening after a weekend of
work.
First (yesterday) I had to clean off all the flood muck from my concrete pad
that used to be my shop (before the windstorm of ought 8).
Got that done and the lawn mowed and the little red Mk II pushed onto the
pad.
Today:
I got the brakes bled and the clutch working and then bolted in the seats.
Checked all brakes, they are in new condition.
Did lots of little odds & ends, then I put 2 gallons of gas in the tank and
turned the key. Oh yeah - PO had fuel pump on a dash switch.
Rewired fuel pump to ignition power and turned the key again.
No gas...
Undo connections, turn key, no gas.
All this time I had it up on jackstands, so I put all the wheels back on and
lowered the front.
Got gas!! Pouring out all over the floor.
Raised the front end again, noted no clamp down where the rubber line
connects to the hard line. Grab a clamp & scoot under and tighten it down.
Turn key - got gas coming out upper rubber hose.
Make all connections I loosened looking for problem, turn key and try to
start. No go.
Oil pressure goes up to 20 lbs while cranking, good sign!!!
Spray in a little starter fluid & Vroom cough cough die...
Where's the choke pull on this thing.
Oh - there isn't one.
Manually set choke on both SU's and turn key...
VROOM!!!
Runs great. 50 lbs oil pressure.
Lowered car down to the ground.
Let it run until temp gauge says 140, put in clutch and selected reverse.
Backs up like a dream. Put it in 1st. Right back to the work area.
Good enough for today, still have to put everything together and put away
the tools.
What a great weekend!

Now - what to do about a choke on this baby??? Ideas please? Is there a
place the choke should go on the dash?
What's an original choke pull look like?
Oh - maybe I have one on my parts car... Going to have to take a look
tomorrow.