[Spridgets] Suicycles

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:54:48 MDT 2009

I am 58 this June and have been fortunate as I have ridden motorcycles on a
regular basis since I started out at age 15 on a Suzuki X6 Hustler.

In those days I later became a semi pro surfer competing in surfing
competitions, living and growing up in San Diego.  No helmet laws. . and I
would ride that thing to the beach on freeway 8 not even worried at all what
I might be getting into if I were to take a spill.

My main ride in the 1980's was a 1970 Triumph 650. .   great handling
machine. .  really miss that one.

Several years ago I had my only accident - I was downshifting for a corner
and ran over a full on auto transmission fluid spill which took me over "the
high side."  Me tumbling in front of the bike for several yards.

That bike was an older Suzuki LTD 1000 cc that I was riding while waiting
for my Harley to come in.

>From there I rode a Harley for 7 years, on the bike near everyday.

When the Bugeye came into my life I began to lose interest in my modified
1550 cc lowered in the rear - really sharp Road King.  Custom lowered seat.
.  Power Commander IIIr, 203 cams. .  such a bike it was.  It was very happy
at 100 MPH (freeway 395 going past Mono Lake to take the back way into
Yosemite up to Glacier Point with my buddies).

Major 5.5 hour back surgery about a year ago and the Doc said to stay off
bikes.  If I take in an accident in this condition I would be in super bad
shape.

I do not feel that I am much more, if any, protected in the Bugeye (given
that I need to install a roll bar).

But I can sit with a support that I have for my lumbar spine. .  works
great.  My wife loves the Bugeye and my English Bull Terrier pops up between
us. .  the current family can be together!   (3 Kids are grown on their
own).

Just some thoughts about the bike thing. . . That transmission spill would
have caught just about anyone off guard.  Had I been in a 4 wheel vehicle, I
would have faired much better (I think I would have anyway).

Kirk