[Spridgets] 1500 Tuning Questions

Richard Ball richb at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 17 18:33:49 MDT 2009

Thanks to everyone that replied.

The consensus seems to be 10 BTDC for the timing.  I'm somewhat intrigued
with Brent's idea of 22 BTDC and marching it back down if it pings.  When I
had it set to 2 ATDC I was driving it to the local All British Field Meet.
I reset the timing by ear in the parking lot for the drive home and when I
went to reset it with the light it was at 22 BTDC, so there might be
something to that.  For now it will stay at 10 BTDC.  Thankfully I don't
have to have it inspected or pass emission tests

To answer some of the questions that came up for my lean running condition.
The EGR valve has been removed.  The only smog equipment left is the
charcoal canister and that has had the filters and charcoal replaced,  The
restrictor is in place between the valve cover vent and the connection on
the carb.  A Webber isn't in the cards right now so I will try to adjust the
ZS.  I had forgotten that I can adjust or change the needle.

I'm away right now, but I see what I can do next week and post the results.
Thanks for the input.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget (plump twin sister)
Everett, WA