[Spridgets] Kit cars, imports and the Westfield XI

Andrew Payne andrewpayne at intrex.net
Wed Aug 19 07:39:18 MDT 2009

As for the Westfield, I think it would be a very easy import into the US,
but perhaps not California.

I have done some looking into these questions recently, but not so recently
that it would not be wise to study further.  Basically, a kit needs to be
parts and not a new, disassembled car.  They were very adamant that kit and
drivetrain arrive on separate ships to avoid problems (impound, fines,
etc.).  Cars can be imported past a certain age.  Also most of the EPA
guidelines apply only so long as the car is still the same car.  What I mean
is that there are regs against putting a non factory engine in a car.  But
if you chop the top go wide body and change the hood, you car drop your w16
engine in your Subaru Justy's trunk, because no one will confuse the car for
a Justy.  Oh and to do this, you will get a new VIN number and be called a
"custom".  The intent here is to protect future consumers.

Call your local inspector for DMV, usually associated with the vehicle theft
division.  Tell him what you have in mind and ask how to do it smoothly and
legally.  When I called, the three tips were use only fully documented
parts, the more you change the easier case you have to get a custom title,
call again before you start because the law will have changed twice by then.
If the major parts do not have a clean title or ownership chain, you will
have a problem, and possibly no car.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/howtosd072003.html
http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/kitcar.htm

Drew in NC