[Spridgets] Cold starting

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Tue Dec 1 09:02:03 MST 2009

The temperature is 39 degrees today.  I tried starting the Midget and it would not fire at all.  The battery is strong.

What exactly happens in the cold?

So I checked the plugs.  Three were perfect in color and gap.  Number two was black and wet, not from today as it never fired.  I cleaned it up and the car started on the first pull.  I checked that plug again after the engine was warm and it was dry but sooty.  There is no missing or any other sign of firing problems.

How can one plug be rich without missing?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget