[Spridgets] stuck axle

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 22:41:41 MST 2009

Glen,

I had to pull a broken half shaft on my TC back in 1967. Had to use a dirty
great slide hammer and it took bleedin' forever to get the booger out as I
recall...  Good luck with it. It should eventually come out.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Glen Byrns <grbyrns at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> I'm helping a friend replace the hub seals and bearings on his MGTC.  It
> has a spridget pumpkin in a TC housing, and wire wheels. The right axle
> came right out and is finished. The left axle comes out about 1" and will
> not come out any farther.  Its an old style TC axle that is a taper fit
> with keyway to the outer hub.  What could possibly be holding it in?  Even
> if the splines are twisted a bit, this sucker should have come out by now.
>  No way to pull the diff carrier till this bugger lets go.
> Any thoughts besides a giant slide hammer?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen
>
> By the way, the A35 saloon is now living in a covered garage in Sacramento
> and will be dolled up for "Hot August Nights" this next year in Reno.  The
> new owner is a body/paint guy who will really give it what it needed.

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein