[Spridgets] Vacuum advance

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Thu Dec 31 11:58:44 MST 2009

I have an HIF6 carb from a Harley Chopper (all chrome & polish) that I got cheap on eBay for my 1275 +0.040 engine build.  It has a priming pump and no vacuum or ventilation take-offs.  I can add take-offs to the carb or the manifold if necessary.  But I am also considering a 123 distributor ($$$!), which can be ordered with no vacuum advance and "16 programmed advance curves."

What are your thoughts on the relative merits of vacuum vs. electrical advance curves for a moderately tricked-out street engine?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Sprite kit
Long Island, NY