[Spridgets] SUV's

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:30:30 MST 2009

I dunno...   To us folks here in fly-over, 4x4 comes in pretty handy year
round for getting chow out to the cattle, pulling fence, pulling calves,
moving hay bales, hauling dirt or gravel....etc. The idea of using one for
"recreation" is a little foreign to us. We tend to look at them as work
horses rather than play toys.

Cheers!!
Jim - In west Kansas cattle country

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM, David Ambrose <stargazer1 at cox.net> wrote:

> JLC wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 23/02/2009 20:51:56 GMT Standard Time,
>> khargreaves2 at gmail.com writes:
>>
>> Really,  how many people in my state, California, really use their 4 wheel
>> drive  option
>>
> I guess our answer is yes and less:
>
> We live in Poway, just northeast of San Diego. When we moved down here, we
> owned a '72 Landcruiser. Wonderful off-road vehicle; plenty of clearance,
> and the running gear was strong enough to tolerate almost anything.
>
> We took it offroad in the desert, and other places, and really liked
> getting our camping gear into isolated places.
>
> However, it was getting too small for 3 young children, and wasn't the most
> pleasant thing on the freeway. We were also suffering from chronic carb,
> clutch, and valve problems. So, we sold it and bought a Suburban from my
> cousin.
>
> The 'burby had pretty much everything we could ever want; 4WD, 3 seats,
> auxiliary air conditioner, and barn doors. It had 4 wheel drive, but we
> found ourselves using it less as time went by.
>
> When we replaced the Suburban, we went with a 2 wheel drive Xterra because
> we just didn't feel the need for 4x4, and the extra few miles per gallon
> were going to pay off over the life of the truck.
>
> Now days, I'm hauling more surfboards and scuba gear than camping stuff and
> telescopes. So, I think it's fair to say our usage changed a lot. My kids
> grew up so I'm not hauling nearly as many of those either.
>
> Besides, my wife claims she can drive a 2WD/LSD through most places as well
> as a  4WD with an average driver. She seems to be able to demonstrate this
> fact on demand too. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Cheers!!
Jim
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough
to take everything you have." - Gerald Ford