[Spridgets] Put Pelosi on an EMB

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 14:25:27 MST 2009

When the first EMB's came over from Brazil the props were not dialed in
correctly.  Sen. Hightower lost his life taking a short political jaunt on
one, along with Astronaut Sonny Carter.

*Found this:

Atlantic Southeast
Airlines<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Southeast_Airlines>
Flight
2311 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Southeast_Airlines_Flight_2311>,
crashed in Brunswick <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick,_Georgia>,
Georgia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_%28U.S._state%29> on April 5,
1991. The crash claimed the lives of all twenty-three people on board,
including former U.S.
Senator<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate> John
Tower <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tower> of
Texas<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas>and
astronaut <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronaut> Sonny
Carter<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Carter>.
This was due to propeller <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller> control
failure.
*
Later on, working for a large corporation, I used to fly on EMB's out of the
Atlanta hub for a short jump to
Chattanooga.

Two rows of seats to one side, one row of seats on the other.  Kind of a
different design - no doubt built by the manufacturer who came in with the
lowest bid.

Flight attendants?  Not really.  Just like on a Fairchild 16 passenger (I
flew on one of those at least once a week with a job I had managing the 11
Western States for the same company) - - - the "flight attendant" was
comprised of a cassette that was plugged into a cassette player with
instructions played through the airplane.

The pilots looked like they were barely old enough to have their drivers
licenses - real nice guys - but super young guys who were making their way
up the ranks to fly full size commercial jets.

Fun times!

Also for more and a pic of this unusual plane (at least a unusual one for
me) see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_EMB_120_Brasilia

Kirk
59BE